Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Art of the Week: Empathy


I had a blast at FLUXFEST Chicago 2012 this past weekend. It was wonderful to meet so many talented creative people from so many walks of life and there were so many great readings and performances and shows. I am honored to have been able to participate. It was a remarkable and memorable experience and Keith Buchholz did a great job organizing and curating it. Thank you and way to go Keith, it was truly amazing and you really outdid yourself!

I performed this piece, Please Have Empathy, in conjunction with the Long Form Flux performances and installations at the Chicago Cultural Center on Saturday to raise awareness of homelessness. My hope is that those who bore witness to the performance will see one another differently later on when they encounter each other on the street. I am posting it here as Art of the Week; in this photo I am sitting in the stairwell at the second floor, though I had also stationed myself in the second floor doorway until it was requested I move because I posed a fire hazard in that location.

The sign reads:
PLEASE HAVE EMPATHY. I am a person too, with basic needs and feelings, and I should not be ignored. Homelessness affects all of us, poverty is everywhere.

2 comments:

Andrew Oleksiuk said...

It was great to meet you.

ChaoticBlackSheep said...

It was great meeting you as well. :)