Monday, January 13, 2014

Art of the Week: Bloodletting Dress


I am about to embark on my largest scale installation to date, upcoming in late February at Blue Jacket Books in Xenia, Ohio.  The installation, called Bloodletting, will further my explorations into menstruation and female reproductive health.  The creation of the work will be a sort of performance unto itself, and I modified another found dress (actually purchased on a previous trip to Ohio) with faux flowers for the experience.  I have included some preview photos here as Art of the Week and as a preview of this next Dressing for the Occasion ensemble.

More information about Bloodletting will be forthcoming after the fact.  It is a truly rare opportunity to be able to create such a large-scale work themed around such a taboo topic as menstruation, and I am most grateful to Lawrence Hammar for inviting me to do so.  Aspects of the installation will be included throughout the space to further viewer interaction, with the entire experience presented in such a way that it must be seen in person in order to be fully absorbed.

My goal is to create a "destination installation" of sorts, a large-scale artwork of considerable scope in an unexpected setting that draws people to bear witness and prompts discussion - we shall see how it goes...  That's a very lofty goal and just having such a work remain on view for any length of time is a big first step.  So here's hoping...

No comments: