Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Yard Work Nightmare

Well, I finally did it. Last Tuesday I tore out a bunch of the honeysuckle growing up over the back fence. Unfortunately this has since proved to be a huge nightmare, as it was shading a ton of poison ivy in the back. Having never had poison ivy before, for all that I'd been exposed to it on numerous occasions as a child, it didn't register what it was and I just started tearing it out too. I'm paying for this now, though, despite the fact that I always wash up immediately after working in the yard (the exposure was just too great). I started breaking out mildly last Thursday and it worsened come yesterday though I've been really careful. I've read it can take up to fourteen days for symptoms to show. Ugh. Fortunately there is a wonderful resource online:
Poison Ivy, Oak and Sumac Center - http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view

I still have yet to eradicate the nuisance plant from the yard. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to do so or who to hire to deal with this? It didn't start in my yard but my neighbor's, so I am planning to first spray the crap out of it with that Roundup poison ivy killer to try to kill the plants on the other side of the fence too. But after that I know it'll need to be pulled down. Is it ever safe to do so after it's been dead or dried up for awhile or not? Does anyone have any suggestions of who to hire for fence removal? I'm thinking now that maybe I'd like to get on that sooner rather than later, given what I've found lurking there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should try this. http://www.yardworkerz.com

ChaoticBlackSheep said...

Thank you very much - that looks very helpful. I'll look into it.