Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Saying Thank You

I touched on the importance of being grateful for opportunities in my last post, but I really want to reiterate that here.

Thank You - those are two of the most important words to consider and remember when promoting yourself. It is absolutely necessary to make certain that others know that their generosity and time are appreciated.

The workshop at RAC focused some attention on sending thank you letters and follow up communication. It is really important to make sure that people genuinely feel appreciated for what they've done for you. Some people really like hand written thank you letters. Some people really like phone calls or in-person visits. Some people are content with email. Just be genuine and be true to conveying your gratitude and stay in contact. One of the most important things to consider here is punctuality. It is best not to procrastinate when thanking others as the act loses much of its sincerity the longer you wait.

This is something that should be personal and genuine. Your time spent working on this is valuable, and you convey your appreciation by taking the time to genuinely thank someone for what they've done for you. So this is someplace where the use of templates is not a boon and hand-written letters can have a great influence. Admittedly, I don't send as many hand-written thank you notes as I ought to in order to show appreciation in my art career, but I try to be punctual and personal and convey my gratitude and enthusiasm regardless of the format in which I am communicating.

No comments: