Friday, March 26, 2010

Art of the Week: Potholders


This week I made several kids' camp craft potholders to start on a quilting project installation & performance that I want to do for Innovations in Textiles 2010. I remember making these as a child with the square plastic loom and loops, and am now using strictly the nylon loops. I never read the disclaimer before though, and now it saddens me to think that there are children out there are making gifts that those they love cannot use. The loops contain nylon to be stretchy, which melts very easily. I guess they'd still make good coasters to absorb condensation from pitchers and things, though, so at least the kids could see them used in some fashion.

POT HOLDER USE LIMITED TO PLASTIC HANDLE COOKWARE AND AS A MAT FOR TRAYS, DISHES AND MUGS. CAUTION: DO NOT USE FINISHED POTHOLDER NEAR FLAME OR ALLOW CONTACT WITH HOT COOKWARE (INCLUDING METAL HANDLES).

No comments: