Sunday, September 29, 2013

Some More Thoughts on Art

I have written about the idea of high vs. lowbrow art and institutionalized elitism before, a long time ago (so long ago I cannot seem to find that post again), but I want to revisit the topic and just share some thoughts on my love of art.

I love art!  I love High Art in the institutionalized setting.  I love lowbrow, outsider, untrained art that follows the heart.  I love art that speaks to the soul's song.  I love Classical and traditional art.  I love avant-garde art.  I love art outside the box.  I love uppercase ART that screams something to say.  I love lowercase art that whispers.  I love art that is self-conscious.  I love art that has an ego.  I love art that is best represtented by the anarchy symbol and questions the status quo.  I love art that exists outside of expectations.  I love art that is indistinguishable from life.  I love art that transcends everyday life to embody greater things.  I love art created at all levels: childhood, therapeutic, professional, amateur, hobbyist.  I love art that collaborates.  I love art that refuses to play nice.  I love art that makes a statement.  I love art that has nothing to say.  I love art that is shocking and controversial.  I love art that is pretty.  I love art that questions what art is.  I love art that celebrates beauty.  I love art that conveys ugliness.  I love art that raises awareness.  I love art that explore human relationships.  I love art that plays it safe.  I love art that takes risks.  I love art for art's sake...

Art is truly everywhere, and if we're willing to open our minds to the breadth and possibility of human creativity, expression & resilience, we will soon come to find it in everything.  Art = life.

1 comment:

ChaoticBlackSheep said...

In regards to some other strong sentiments on art, substitute the following for the word "love" in the associated phrases:

I believe in art...
I am for art...