Saturday, December 21, 2013

Art of the Week: For Andy Goldsworthy




Happy winter solstice!  A friend of mine held an artist retreat day today, and we watched Andy Goldsworthy: Rivers & Tides and created ephemeral art in response in the rain.  It was a wonderful experience.

I included some photographs of my work above, in which I arranged yellow gold leaves in a small enclave in the rock of the creek bed running behind her house.  I have a couple of pictures of the piece in process from afar and close up.  I wish I could have spent more time extending the line of leaves even further along the water's edge, to greater mimic the shadow cast on the other side.

My friend's work (below) incorporated yellow green leaves in a slight recess in a rock face along the same creek bed, creating a flow across its surface.  She also created a lovely pattern along the perimeter of the woods out of crusted over tree branches, but I didn't manage to get a photo of that.

No comments: