Thursday, June 26, 2008

First Blog

So here I am blogging for the first time. I don't have much of anything to say at the moment, so I'll talk a little bit about how I came to this.

I am an artist working in predominantly conceptual means. Lately I have become more and more disillusioned with the gallery setting. It seems much of the general public feels alienated by the modern gallery setting because they don't understand the ongoing discourse that has evolved. Thus, many people feel as though they don't belong in the arts and so they don't enter into that discourse. (We are losing a good amount of support from would-be patrons due to this.)

As a result, I feel that I cannot connect with as many people as I would like in the gallery setting. Since my work is about getting people to think about things and see the world anew, I have begun considering other means of showing my art so that it will be seen. One way of approaching this is to better understand how everyday people see the arts. I recently attended the On Tap discussion at Llywelyn's in order to get a feel for how some interested non-artists perceive of the art world. After the discussion, I felt that we hadn't touched enough on the topic of shock art and wished to post a response on their blog, so I set up this account. And, having done so, I figured that I may as well use it...

The name ChaoticBlackSheep emerged in part from Third Edition Dungeons & Dragons, due to the fact that applying the "Dire Animal of Chaos" template to a sheep seemed rather amusing. But it also seemed to suit who I am. In regards to my blog, my husband sees it a lot like this:
Chaotic Rants
Black Humor
Sheep should be woolly animals, not people.
I don't know just how applicable that is, for all that I am a strong supporter of people thinking for themselves and not just following others (morally, philosophically, politically, spiritually, etc.). I have always felt like a bit of a black sheep in the sense that I've always felt as though I see things somewhat differently and don't quite fit in. Most of the artists I know are black sheep of one sort or another since they tend to see and relate to the world differently, especially if they are driven to create. And I've always been somewhat chaotic in the sense that I am more emotionally driven than I perhaps ought to be.

So that's a little bit about how I came to be blogging. We'll see where it goes...

No comments: