Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Plein Air Painting

I am really excited about the resurgence of plein air painting events. Plein air painting can do a lot towards bringing the public into art by providing viewers and passerbys with opportunities to see artists at work. Plein air events also encourage both artists and viewers to spend more time outdoors and be more involved in the environment, which can persuade people to think about their impact on the world in which we live and to further appreciate nature.

I have participated in several events this year already, including those in Augusta, Webster Groves and Lafayette Square's house tour event. I am currently participating in Alton's Mississippi Earthtones event and have registered for the St. Charles as well. I am even planning a solo show of my plein air works. Please feel free to check out some of my paintings on my website here.

Painting en plein air originally didn't seem like something that I would get into because I'm not much of a painter, but I have found that I enjoy it immensely and that I don't have to work in a traditional manner to be involved. I guess it only goes to show that you shouldn't pass judgment on things that you haven't tried or experienced yourself because you may surprised to find out that they aren't at all what you expected them to be.

No comments: