Monday, September 22, 2008

Saying No

No. It's a simple little word, but it's one that I have a lot of issues with. Instead, I tend to take on more than I ought to, forcing myself into the position of constantly having to compromise what I am doing. I find that this is a common problem for a lot of people, especially women who are all too often taught to take care of everyone but themselves.

It's not that I don't want to be involved or that I don't genuinely care about any one group or cause. But I can spread myself too thin at times and find myself doing things that are not truly in my best interests or have come into conflict with one another as schedules and deadlines change. As a result, I often wind up playing catch up while never really getting ahead of the game.

Last week was sort of like this for me, and a lot of things fell by the wayside or were completely forgotten in my fervor to try to keep up with the multitude of other obligations that I had. I had simply gotten myself involved in too many things at once and some of them wound up inadvertently being neglected when a couple of crises came up that I couldn't do anything about at the time. So now this week, I am trying to pick up the pieces.

I know I can't do much about all of the things I already have going on, but I am going to try not to take on anything else that will conflict until things calm down enough for me to catch up. So I may not be as thorough about blogging this week as I have been.

No comments: