Sunday, January 16, 2011

Kindertransport

I attended the gala reception for the Alton Little Theater season ticket patrons and Artfully Alton show artists on Thursday. Artists were also invited to see Kindertransport that night during the final dress rehearsal/preview show.

Kindertransport, by Diane Samuels, is about the experiences of a woman who had been transported out of Nazi Germany among the 10,000 Jewish child Holocaust refugees sent without their parents to Britain that happened from 1938 - 1939 prior to World War II. Although the characters are fictitious, the play is based on the real mass flight and stories of those children.

The performance was outstanding. The play itself was very touching and emotionally moving and raised awareness of many of the issues that those refugees encountered. The dialogue was memorable and thought-provoking. One line in particular stuck with me:

"Never let people who hate you tell you what you are."

This sentiment resonates with me on a personal level, since so much of my work is about shaping identity and confronting stereotypes and taboos. I strive to confront stereotypes and assumptions in much of my work, and this quote sort of sums up why, thus I wanted to draw attention to it.

Anyway, if you get a chance to see the play I'd highly recommend doing so, but please be aware that it is emotionally-charged and includes strong subject matter. And, if you do make it, I hope you enjoy the Artfully Alton Exhibit in the lobby. Christine Ilewski organized a powerful show of paintings & artworks by several local artists, including a stirring installation by Lillian Bates and three of my Forgotten Series works from my Relics & Reliquaries show at The Green Center.

Artfully Alton Exhibit
in conjunction with Kindertransport
Alton Little Theater
2450 N. Henry
Alton, IL
Jan. 2011

No comments: