Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Making Time for Making Art

My husband and I have been working to update my website this week. In doing so, I was surprised to discover that I hadn't made a lot of totally new art this year until I thought more about what I have been doing. 2010 marked the big kickoff for both Life Blood Exhibit and the debut of the Art Is Everywhere sign project. I also participated in a number of shows and art events and have traveled more for my art than in awhile. So, instead of making art, it seems that I've spent more time managing, organizing and showing existing art.

Artistically I've felt myself at a crossroads and so think that my productivity has slowed down somewhat. The art I've undertaken has also been pulling me to different extremes, focusing on more traditional things like drawing while simultaneously experimenting more with redefining what is and isn't art and blurring the distinctions between art and life. I've also reworked a lot of past pieces, incorporating them into installations and new works.

And I've spent more time reassessing my life itself, especially after some minor health concerns. What is important to me? How do I want to spend my time? What do I need to do to better myself as a person first and foremost? My life and art are very intertwined, for both good and bad, and so I am well aware that for my own well-being I need to make time to make art.

So, for all that I plan to stay active showing and already have several events lined up, I am going to focus on production more in 2011. I hope to continue to focus on honing my drawing skills, since that is the root of why I first became interested in art, while also experimenting and revisiting past works. I plan to continue to participate in the plein air events as I can do so, but not worry too much about producing a lot of pieces. Most of all, I'm not going to push too hard and plan to just let things flow, whether I'm working on something with the intent to show it or whether I'm working on something for its own sake.

No comments: