Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Attending Receptions

There are mixed feelings regarding whether or not artists are required to attend opening receptions for shows they are in. I think this greatly depends on the circumstances surrounding the show.

It is widely assumed that artists will do everything in their power to attend their own solo receptions, and rightfully so since they are the focus of the exhibition. Sometimes this can prove challenging because the artist is showing their work in a venue far from where he/she lives. But the artist should still make every effort to attend, especially if he/she is just starting out in art, because it demonstrates a commitment to his/her own work and career.

Group shows are different, though. It is highly beneficial to the artists represented to attend so that they can see the show hung and talk to others about their work. However, sometimes it is very impractical for an artist to do so, especially if he/she is showing outside of his/her hometown. Most galleries do not expect out-of-state artists to attend such group receptions, especially considering the rising costs to travel nowadays. However, when such an effort is made, it shows an impressive commitment on behalf of the artist to his/her own work and career that may lead to other shows in that venue or area, maybe even including solo opportunities.

It hurts the artists more than anyone else when they are not present at their own receptions because they do not benefit from networking opportunities and talking to people about their work. I try to attend as many of my own receptions as possible, but I do not make it to all of the group show receptions, sometimes due to scheduling conflicts and sometimes due to travel expenses. At the same time I will not limit myself solely to exhibiting my work in venues where I can attend receptions because I think it is better to get my work out there where it can be seen by as many different people as possible. Although I will not deny myself exposure because I cannot attend an opening, I will try to always include a cohesive, well-written artist's statement with any artworks I have in shows that I cannot attend.

No comments: