Monday, August 4, 2008

Where do you draw the line?

I fear that I may be more of a risk-taker than is healthy, at least in regards to taking chances in my own art. I think sometimes I place too much emphasis on the idea I'm conveying and don't think enough about the means or that I don't censor myself as well as I probably ought to. It's just that some things need to be confronted and I tend to do this with my art, appropriate or not.

So I am asking you, dear blog reader, where do you draw the line? At what point does something stop having artistic merit? At what point has it gone too far? Feel free to cite specific examples if you want to. I know this varies a lot from place to place and person to person and that the Midwest generally tends towards being more conservative. Thus, I am also interested in hearing your responses in relation to where you live (you don't have to be specific - country, city, east coast, west coast, midwest, etc.).

Please let me know your opinion.

2 comments:

Chas said...

Censorship is bad. Draw the line? Listen to Pink Floyd's UMMAGUMMA. You would think most people would hear noise, but they hear music.

Have you considered trying to express this dilema through your art? It may lead to something fantastic and new.

ChaoticBlackSheep said...

Thank you for responding! I am not condoning censorship and strongly believe that no one person or group should have the power to dictate what we can see, hear, speak, express, think... However, many people and groups naturally censor themselves, and this is what interests me. I will discuss this in a new post today.

In regards to making art about it, I have had an idea for an installation about censorship floating around in my head for some time now. It has sort of been put on the back burner. I don't think that is so much because I am censoring myself as I have other things that I feel a stronger need to speak out about and get out in the open. And I'm still working through the logistics of the fabrication of the piece itself.