Monday, October 6, 2008

Hard Core Plein Air Painting

I am doing the plein air competition in St. Charles as I'd mentioned the other day. Today I went in to Framations to pick up my work from the quick paint on Saturday and, while I was there, I inquired as to what would happen to the quick paint tomorrow if it rains. Apparently it will be happening regardless because some of the plein air painters voiced that they would just paint in the rain. Now that's hard core!

But where is the limit? How much does it need to rain before artists will stop painting? A drizzle can be avoided easily but a deluge cannot, even when working under an awning or out of the tailgate of one's car. I have painted in the rain in Alton under a gazebo with poor end results, so I do not relish the idea of trying to crowd myself under an awning to paint in the rain tomorrow.

Hopefully it will not rain all that hard during the quick paint, or perhaps it will get done raining earlier in the day. I just don't want to have to paint inside as that sort of defeats the purpose of painting "en plein air". I especially hope that the quick paint isn't cut short since it focuses on architectural studies which are time consuming. I think I'll plan to work small.

No comments: