Saturday, October 11, 2008

Is a Messy Studio a Sign of Genius?

I mentioned before that it is good to maintain your studio, to keep it clean and relatively free of clutter for your own well-being, but is this feasible all of the time? I have been way too busy lately, and it shows. In many ways, I barely recognize my own house. Heaven forbid I were to have company over - this place is a mess. I know I should do something about it, but at the same time I am still busy and am accomplishing a lot in regards to working on my art.

I tend to accumulate clutter, especially when I am working on my art because I don't want to put something away only to need it out again almost immediately afterward. Unfortunately this ideology can foster laziness in regards to maintaining my house and studio space. And sometimes by not putting things away I find myself searching far and wide for them later because they are not where they belong. But, for all that I have found that it really doesn't gain me time to be a slob I still have a hard time making time for general upkeep when I am busy with my art.

I guess it comes down to passion. When I am really involved in something, especially artmaking, other things begin to seem trivial by comparison. I may forget to eat or will go to bed really late or otherwise lose track of time and place. Given that I will abandon life necessities so quickly, there should be little or no doubt that if I am really into working on something my home can devolve into a pigsty.

I wonder, though, is this really bad? Or does it show a commitment to my art? Does it take that commitment too far into obsession? What do other artists think? Is a messy studio a sign of genius or ignorance? Is this something you do and can relate to? Do you have any pointers for keeping up with your environment while not devoting too much time to it or putting things away completely? How do you cope and what do you do?

No comments: