Monday, January 26, 2009

Extra Dimensional Information?

Am I the only one who finds it odd or redundant when dimensions are posted on the nomenclature next to the piece? It has always seemed strange to me when the artwork is right there and I am looking at it - I just don't feel that I need to be told how big it is.

I definitely understand the need for dimensions to be included with images of the artwork where one cannot see the actual piece in person, such when an image of a work is published in a book or when jurying and/or curating from slides or digital images. But I am talking about when the work itself is physically present in the space.

Different artworks look different in different spaces. Lighting, ceiling height, ambience... all have an immense effect. Sometimes it can be difficult to appreciate the scale of an artwork even when it is looking me right in the face. But even then, I don't know that I have a firm enough comprehension of distances that knowing the precise measurements would heighten my appreciation and understanding.

I suppose that maybe a potential buyer could be looking at a piece with a certain space in mind in which to display it, and that said potential buyer may need to know whether or not it will fit (and cannot just eyeball it). But if that's the case, then so many artworks' dimensions are not standardized or well-defined (print-size vs. frame-size vs. approximations vs. mis-measurements...) that the piece may still not work in the space available.

I also suppose that maybe printing the dimensions on the nomenclature could make it easier for those hanging the work to orient and label it appropriately when they are unfamiliar with it. But that seems a pretty unreliable means of figuring out which tag goes with which artwork and which way is up.

I just see it as redundant, for all that it isn't harming anything. And I'll openly admit to printing the dimensions on my own nomenclature; it can even come in useful when I am pricing artworks according to their sizes. (I commonly do so with my plein air paintings, and it can be difficult to tell a 4" x 6" from a 5" x 7" when they are not right next to one another.) But I still don't see it as necessary in every circumstance and prefer to leave it off for the most part.

No comments: