Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Press & Publicity

I am not very good at press and publicity. I tend to be too verbose for PR purposes due to my overly wordy ramblings. I also tend not to be formal enough. And I'm not the best at getting the word out, in part due to constantly moving from one thing to the next without a break and in part because I don't know who to contact. So if you have any pointers on this subject, please let me know.

That said, there are a few pointers I can offer. Learn how to write about yourself in the third person. Too many artists are not adept at this and don't tend to think of themselves in this way. It is often regarded as pompous and arrogant, or just plain weird, to refer to oneself in the third person. Thus a lot of people never really get used to it. But it is necessary for publicity in order to look more professional.

Also, when re-referencing yourself in the third person, use your last name as opposed to your first. It is more formal and thus more professional. Remember, part of the point of press is to reach out to people who don't know you - you are not on a first name basis with them. That said, I have been known to intentionally use my first name when I want to be less austere and to seem approachable, but that has been for very very specific circumstances. And it was probably incorrect even though it was intentional so stick to your last name.

Try to be concise and to the point. (This is where I tend to fall on my face.) Get all of the necessary information out there, but don't over-explain. Try to leave at least some mystery so that people will want to find out for themselves. I have not yet discerned where that happy medium is between offering too much information and not enough. Obviously, any information regarding the show (reception times, gallery hours, location...) is absolutely necessary. And you'll want to include some information about yourself beyond that (some of your background, what media do you work in, a little blurb about the work you are showing...) but not too much. If the show is a benefit or is meant to raise awareness, or if there was an award or sponsorship involved, be sure to include that too.

Also, as I've said before, don't be afraid to promote yourself. I don't always hype up everything I'm doing as much as I should. In my case, this results from the fact that I do so much and don't want to inundate. But by not playing up the things I am involved in, I can inadvertently send the message that those events aren't important or exciting to me (and in doing so, I can encourage others to feel similarly towards them). So don't be afraid to toot your own horn, especially when you're the only one doing so because, if you don't do so at those times, then no one will know to come.

No comments: