Sunday, January 25, 2009

Scheduling

I know I am not alone in this, but I have a hard time making time for friends and family amidst my art career. It isn't that I don't want to spend time with those I love and cherish, but there are often scheduling conflicts associated with this. Many non-artists work 9 - 5 weekdays and are only available on weekends and evenings. But most art events occur on Fridays and Saturdays or weekday evenings, partly because so many artists also work 9 - 5 jobs to pay the bills and that is when they are free to do events. So it can be difficult to be involved in a lot of shows and events and still make time for others.

As a result, some artists don't pursue as many opportunities or expose themselves to as many things as they otherwise may want to, simply due to the fact that they have families to take care of. Others drag their loved ones along to art events, totally submerging them in the art culture whether or not they are genuinely interested in it. This can be good because it can increase others' exposure to art, but it can also be a strain on a relationship when the artist's family/friends really have no interest in those sorts of events at all and feel that they are only able to spend time with their loved one when doing activities they would prefer not do.

Lately, I have been trying to make more time for family and friends. It can be especially challenging when traveling almost every weekend for shows and events. (That can be straining in and of itself over time, anyway.) So if you don't see me around as much, you know why.

No comments: