Sunday, January 25, 2009

Intolerance & Patience

I think different people have different tolerances for different things. We find ourselves pushed to our limits easily by some things and not by others. As a result, we may seem impatient or be impatient in some ways and yet seem excessively patient and tolerant in others. This is especially true when we look at one another's habits because they may not mesh so closely with our own.

I am one of those kinds of people that needs to be busy. I don't deal well with idle time. Even when I am relaxing, I prefer to be doing something; I don't just sit around well. Yet, I don't mind waiting on things so long as I am occupied in an activity. For instance, I don't mind slow drivers or stopping for a red light when I am in the car. I become much more frustrated by people cutting me off and driving erratically or aggressively.

As a result of my desire to be occupied, I am very impatient when I am waiting on others for answers or guidance. I want to know right away, or as soon as time will permit. I especially don't want to wait for an answer or response. This isn't so much an issue when I am waiting to hear back from a show, since those sorts of things tend to be scheduled out, but I am typically one of the first to call the gallery when the deadline has long since passed (typically, about two weeks after I was supposed to hear back).

I don't like waiting on people at all. I also don't tend to deal well with interruptions. I understand that it is all too easy to be delayed. It is nice to let others know when you are running late, but sometimes this just isn't feasible. I myself have been known to be late to things on occasion, but I try not to make a habit of it, preferring to run early if anything. Whether or not the delay or interruption was intended as such, I often feel put upon or disrespected, as if my time or what I am doing is of little or no value to whomever is testing me. This becomes more and more irksome the more that it occurs and the more that a person is perpetually late or habitually bothersome.

There is a lot of truth to the Upside of Irritation I posted a few days back. When we learn to better tolerate one another, we can better appreciate our differences and come to an understanding of one another. Sometimes it is good to be pushed to our limits and tested so to strengthen our abilities to deal with frustrations and to put things in perspective. It can be a hard, long, bumpy road to tread, though.

No comments: