Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What now?

I created the plein air painting pictured to the left at the Augusta plein air event in 2008 for a label competition. It was not chosen for all that a lot of people responded strongly to it and thought it would make a great label. This painting is probably my best thus far, and I have a wonderful image of it.

Now, the piece itself is actually quite generic and could represent any place in scenic Missouri wine country or a fantastical landscape from my imagination. The winery owns no rights to it since it was not selected for the label competition. It is my work.

So I since submitted the painting to the Les Bourgeois label competition without really thinking about it. I never imagined that it would be chosen. I have entered this competition before and have not been picked. However, this time is different, as my work was selected and this particular piece was chosen to be featured on one of the Collectors' Series labels.

I am most honored, but this is a sort of unusual dilemma in and of itself. Now I don't know what to do. Les Bourgeois is fully aware of the origins of the piece and was so even when it was submitted, but they selected it anyway. I have since contacted a representative from the Augusta plein air event to see if it will be a problem. I would like to resolve this now if it is an issue.

Artists, please give me any suggestions or input you have regarding this. Am I evil for trying to promote myself through something I created for another event? Is this what would be defined as selling out? Is it so wrong to try to get your work out there where it will be seen as opposed to letting it sit in storage where no one can appreciate it? What do you think?

10 comments:

Art Saint Louis said...

Just because you originally created it for another event, doesn't mean that you should pass up what is a great opportunity, sweet Jennifer! Let them use your work on the wine bottle, girl. It's an amazing painting--I was just telling someone about it yesterday--and what better way to get your work seen? Do it Do it Do it Don't think twice Do it!

Colin said...

Selling out? What does that mean? Is it selling out when I sell my art at Deck The Walls? -Baloney! Anytime someone's paying me for my work, I'm taking their money. What about your food in your refrigerator, your livelihood? If they weren't smart enough to grab it in Augusta, too bad- I'd even go so far as to make sure they know someone DID get it, they might take a closer look at your submission next time. Plus it's a lovely illustration :)
Don't ever put too much stock into other people's opinions about "selling out"- those who are too critical about that aren't selling anything.

ChaoticBlackSheep said...

Thank you both. I am very glad that my painting was chosen. I am excited about the events and the fact that someone will be using it for a wine label. I just hope if people recognize it later that I won't be ostracized from anything.

Colin, I agree in your assessment of selling out. I think that because people have found success with something doesn't mean that they aren't being true to themselves. That is an entirely different matter altogether and is not connected to money. And you are right - often those who are too critical aren't selling anything.

ChaoticBlackSheep said...

I heard back from Augusta and there's no worries. I'm not even burning any bridges. They'd love to have me back. :)

I am very honored and grateful to have my work on a wine label. For those of you who are interested in doing so yourselves, Les Bourgeois holds a competition every year for their collector's series labels and selects a handful of artists for this honor. They post the contest to their website so check back there frequently if you are interested in participating.

http://www.missouriwine.com/

Art Saint Louis said...

We all gots to eats, sweetie. The name of the game is earn money AND make art AND get it seen. You CAN do it ALL!

ChaoticBlackSheep said...

So true!

jesse said...

Jennifer- Wow!!! That is fantastic, CONGRATS!!! It will be a beautiful label!! On a side note, will I see you this weekend in Centralia?

ChaoticBlackSheep said...

I managed to finagle my schedule around to make it so we'll be there. I thought you couldn't make it. Did they let you take off work?

We're planning to get in Saturday morning to visit with my dad, probably around 10, and then taking off after the Marilyn's gathering.

MB Shaw said...

I completely agree with previous comments, just lending additional moral support here :-)
Bottom line - it is *your* work and you may do what you want with it. I don't think it is "selling" out to benefit financially from your work (I don't hear you saying that, just affirming). Personally, I would go for it and not think twice. I think the painting is great and will look faboo as a label.

ChaoticBlackSheep said...

Thank you Mary Beth. I am really excited about the opportunity. I am also excited that it seems like they scheduled my four-month solo show from November 2009 - February 2010. Great sales opportunities between the holidays and Valentine's Day for the little paintings. :)