Friday, December 19, 2008

Accomplishment

Some days, I just don't get much done. Other days I get more than I think I should be able to do done. But often I find that it is all relative. It depends on what gives me a feeling of accomplishment more than on what I have and haven't done. It depends on what I've done that I've deemed important or noteworthy.

However this can be problematic because it means I belittle a lot of things that I do. Menial tasks like washing the dishes can consume a lot of time and seem unimportant to others by comparison. As a result, they often fall to the wayside or don't seem to amount to much when they are done. Those tasks can grow in importance depending on how much they need to be dealt with. But why are they so unimportant before they become problematic? What if they are treated as being more important from the start?

I don't think that everything should be approached with a sense of urgency (although I can fall victim to this sometimes), since many things really are not that pressing. I do think that it is good to allow whatever task that I am doing to be important in its own way since a lot of things, including the seemingly trivial stuff, need to be done for a reason (relaxation and freeing one's mind is a perfectly legitimate reason). I just need to make sure to remember that it's all relative and not to sweat the small stuff or let myself get overwhelmed by it.

We all have on-days where we feel like we've accomplished a lot more than we should have been able to, when everything seems to have aligned itself perfectly for maximum productivity, and when we feel active and invigorated. And we all also have off-days where there are too many distractions and we find ourselves unable to focus, when there don't seem to be enough hours in the day, and when we suffer from a lack of desire or just general tiredness.

I feel as though I've done a lot today, but I don't know that I necessarily have compared to any other. I think it's more of a matter of perspective than anything else. It is important that I don't belittle the off days or feel guilty for not getting more done because, from my experience, it seems the harder I am on myself the less I can accomplish.

No comments: