Sunday, December 7, 2008

Email Listservs

I know I asked for it when I signed up but sometimes it is difficult to get a feel for exactly what you're getting into when you sign up to be on a listserv. I love being in the loop and can't imagine losing any of the email groups to which I belong, but I must admit that I do find it a bit overwhelming at times (like after a weekend trip to another city wherein I cannot check my email).

Mostly, I cannot believe just how much information is repeated over and over again. Sometimes this results from being involved in too many overlapping groups, but other times it seems that people just keep hitting send for reasons that are not abundantly clear. (Perhaps it wasn't fast enough or didn't seem to go out the first time... or the second... or the third...)

I try not to post too many things all at once to the email groups when I am emailing and try to post only once or twice to each. I realize that it can be easy to lose track and forget whom you've informed and that it can be good to send out reminders after awhile, especially if you're not getting any responses. But let's all (myself included) please try to check our sent folders to see just how many times in the past week, day, hour, etc. we have informed people of our events. I know it's exciting and good to spread the word, but let's all not encourage others to tune us out and ignore what we have to say by overinundating their inboxes.

2 comments:

Tony Renner said...

me? i like to inundate every list constantly... it keeps folks busy using their delete keys....

ChaoticBlackSheep said...

At least you don't post the same thing ten times in an hour - you're not really inundating if it's different information each time. :)