Thursday, March 26, 2009

Day 13 in the Box

Thank you Brooke Roth for photographing my piece today. Today was fairly uneventful. I slept better last night and so am not as stressed or as physically drained as I have been. Several people stopped in to see me again who had seen me before, which was nice.

While I was at the gallery today, I read Letters to a Young Artist, which offered some interesting insights but I think the book could have greatly benefited from including the initial letter to which the responses were generated to give a better sense of the discourse that took place.

I am beginning to wonder: just what is it about a woman in a vulnerable situation that some men find so interesting, appealing and/or potentially attractive anyway? I got into a discussion about dating and attractiveness with a student who stopped in the gallery today, and it reminded me again of how I am a captive audience. This wasn't as confrontational as my previous experience, and I hope that maybe some of my insights made an impression since too few people of either gender seek advice from those to whom they are attracted. It was still kind of odd, though, if for no other reason than an unfortunately small number of people discuss these issues, especially with people they don't know well. Understanding one another, attractiveness and relationships shouldn't be near so scary a topic as they frequently are.

2 comments:

Dail Chambers said...

Jen- I am not trying to be funny but this is anthropological research from a caged perspectve. kinda like who's watching who.

ChaoticBlackSheep said...

A lot of my work kind of crosses that line actually. I do a lot of things intentionally to test people, especially regarding submitting work to galleries or exhibitions, for all that I am also extremely selective in this process. I'm no Hans Haacke by any stretch of the imagination, but I have my own fun... :)