Friday, March 6, 2009

Day 2 in the Box

First off, thank you Ciera Stewart for photographing my piece today. I have a couple of updates regarding the performance schedule. I recently found out that there is not currently a gallery guard in the mornings on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so my performance will begin later on those days as follows. (The college is seeking a gallery person to fill in those times, so I will let you know of any changes should they find one.)
Monday, 10 - 4
Tuesday, 11 - 4
Wednesday, noon - 4
Thursday, 11 - 4
Friday, 10 - 4
Saturday, 10 - 3

Overall today was relatively uneventful. In regards to physical effects, I am stiff but don't sense any more averse reactions having worn a less revealing outfit today that better protected me from the cage bars. A few people dropped by who had seen me yesterday night during the opening, and I had some lovely conversations with a few of them. And several other individuals stopped in, taking up an interest in the piece and admitting their shock at finding a living person in the cage (and not a mannequin). Curiously, a lot of people asked if I was a student doing this to earn extra credit, but I guess that comes from performing the piece in the context of a college gallery.

I was reminded at the end of the day of just how vulnerable I am in this situation, when an individual raised some questions about a totally different subject in a confrontational manner as a result of the fact that I am literally a captive audience. This individual left after awhile because he believed that I was becoming agitated. In actuality I had gotten the impression that he himself was growing more and more agitated due to his body language and demeanor and this was making me nervous, which is likely why I appeared agitated myself. It was a reminder of just how vulnerable I really am, though.

2 comments:

MB Shaw said...

Ah Jennifer.....I continue to be amazed/impressed/astonished by your passion. Congratulations.

ChaoticBlackSheep said...

Thank you. I appreciate everyone's support.